Farmgirl French for the Living Room

Pin It


I've had this sofa table since I bought my first home. It came from a long defunct company where, while all of the furniture was made  in the US and Canada,  it had a nasty, fake, cherry finish sprayed over some other type of wood and then covered in lacquer.  I decided, a year ago, that it wasn't the style of the table that irritated me as much as it was the color and the "shine" but, at that time, I didn't have time to deal with it.


A few days Almost two weeks ago, I carried it to the garage, took out my quarter sheet sander and some medium grit sand paper then wiped it down with mineral spirits.  Even at this point, I thought WOW! better already.

Then, I dry brushed the legs with the home made white chalk paint that I had left over from the bathroom vanity update that I completed Tuesday night and some watered down grey latex paint. I followed that with two coats of clear wax. (I also put a little silver Rub N Buff on the hardware which, while it IS brass, was still a little harsh for the new, softer, finish). 


 

I wrapped the black part of  the existing lamp base with jute, draped the shade with a few pieces of old lace and added a pin that my friend, Polly made.


 I added vintage mirrors, candlesticks, dried hydrangea from my garden last year,



and this FABULOUS vintage french vanity box that I purchased from my friend Ann (Nellie) at her last barn sale. There's another one coming up, you won't want to miss it if you're in the area!


See that chair in the lower left corner of the photo above? I think that it may be my next victim candidate for a makeover. I just need to decide what color to paint it. So far, it's a three way tie between
Louis Blue, Duck Egg and something in the Lavender family. That's what I'll be pondering while I finish sewing the linen slip covers for the stools that belong under the table. (Yes, I know that they're missing..and  Yes, I knew that you'd notice. Photos next week, pinky swear!)

xo,

S

Linking to:



Featured at