Burlap Wrapped Chandelier Mini-Tutorial

Pin It

When I casually mentioned that I was considering spray painting the 9 year old, solid brass, chandelier that hangs in my dining room, let's just say that the idea "wasn't well received". The fixture is huge, heavy and, unfortunately, in beautiful shape. I chose it. But that was almost ten years ago, back when I thought that I could be "formal" (insert the sound of people laughing and rolling around on the floor, here).

Several of  you have asked for details about the chandelier makeover that was featured in my dining room reveal.  I didn't take photos as I did it. At the time, I was too busy burning my arms and hands because I tried to wrap it with the lights turned on.  Yeah, I know, don't say it.  So, if after the confessions above,  you still want to try to wrap your chandelier (without needing burn cream),  here's how I did it.

Materials to wrap one huge chandelier: 

  • 2 spools of  Burlap Ribbon ($4.99 or so from Michaels in the aisle where they keep the wire wreath forms)
  • 2 spools of wire and vine "ribbon". (I found it in a bin near where they keep the moss, it comes in two sizes. I don't remember the price but I don't think that it's more than $6 or $7 a roll). 
  • Wire Cutters.
  • Pencil sized pieces of twigs that you pick up from your yard after it rains for the fourth day in a row.
  • Straight pins
  • 4-6 inch grapevine wreaths (Michaels $0.49 each)
  • Leftover moss from some project  that you probably did in 2008
  • Enough common sense to turn the light OFF before starting.
 DISCLAIMER: Some of these photos were taken tonight when I remembered that I promised this post, they're a little dark and a little yellow. Sorry about that.
To make the cages:

  • Unroll and cut a 10 inch (give or take) piece of  the "vine ribbon". Weave a stick through one end and form into a circle. Twist the wire from where you cut the other end around the stick (the first one off of the roll will have the stick on it because that's how the roll comes).  Don't worry if they aren't perfect. "Rustic" is seldom perfect. 
To wrap the Chandelier:

  • Start by pulling a thread from the center of one end of the burlap ribbon. This will cause it to "ruffle".  Make enough ruffled burlap to go around the ceiling plate a couple of times. Fasten it by sticking a straight pin through the ruffle and sliding the point of the pin between the ceiling plate and the ceiling. Be careful. I happen to know that the wires in my chandelier were capped and taped so I felt okay about doing this. If you're uncertain, thumbtack it to the ceiling then fluff the ruffle to cover the tack.


  • Using the straight burlap, wrap the chain and the main body of the lamp until you get to the bottom  (or any other part of the body that you want to "feature"), when you get to a "feature", simply pull the thread, make more ruffle and use the ruffle to wrap that section.  I made a ruffle part to cover the cap where the chandelier meets the chain and the bottom "ball" of the main fixture. For the bottom ball, I simply made a long strip of ruffleed burlap and wrapped it around the ball several times weaving it up and  then down between the arms fpr one row and then down followed by up in the next row (like figure 8's). At the bottom, you may need a couple of straight pins to hold it in place then, cut it off, tuck the end up inside of the ruffle around it, pin it and you're finished!



To finish the candles:

  • Add moss around the candle base, top with a grape vine wreath and slide the cage over the candle. 
That's it. I made over a huge chandelier for under $35. It's not permanent and no one had to wonder if I had finally gone over the edge...at least no more than usual.  
If you still have questions about it, send me a message.

xo,

S

Linking to:
Freckled Laundry
Chic on a Shoestring
The Shabby Nest
Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Six Sisters
AKA Design 

Featured at: